Monday, October 5, 2009

Bliss + Time + Breaking rules = ????

My girlfriend has a 2003 Subaru Outback, I think its a pretty ok car. I like the way it handles in the snow but other than that I really do not care for it. Its a tiny little car made for tiny little people. She however is a very proud owner and loves to brag about her little Subie. She loves to drive it and loves all of its smart little options like heated mirrors and seats and a built in weather radio. Well last monday she left for work and crashed it. Five cars total were involved in the crash. Everyone was ok no one was hurt, except her little subie. Unfortunatly the person who had crashed into the back of the subie drove away without first depositing any insurance information. Anyway she was miserable and upset. I decided to use my bliss time to cheer up my girls. With the extra free time I was able to pick up my daughter from school early and she got to ride in my truck which she loves. Since I picked her up that meant that my girlfriend didn't have to. She was able to drive her broken subie home and listen to the radio without the chatter of a five year old. I know its not much but .. when you are a parent, its the little things that are the most important. The music you listen to changes because you dont want to have to filter through tracks to find age appropriate lyrics. Just being able to listen to music goes away since children do not care if you like the playing track or not, they just talk over the music and ask a never ending supply of seemingly obvious questions. Mommy why... Daddy what .... Sigh.... I let my girls have my bliss time because that is what I enjoy the most.

As for breaking rules, I played with Adobe products. Rule number 1 is "Live Breath and Die Open Source Software" there is this rumor going around that Adobe products are the industry standard... rubbish. Adobe products are proprietary and if Adobe decides to change them then the standard changes. That said... that makes Adobe the industry, I think not. WE are the industry and we decide what best practices are. As helpful as Adobe products are I would encourage all of you to learn to work outside of Adobe products if you can. If you don't then your worth as a professional will be limited to your knowledge of a software package that will be obsolete in a couple of years and once your student career is over you will be paying full price for software that is IN REAL LIFE ridiculously over priced and not really worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment